Friday, December 31, 2010

The Year on the Blog & Happy New Year

Well, an end of year post a little about you. I am fortunate to have a lot of you come and read my nonsense, and we had a good year here for interaction and traffic. Being a marketing person in real life, I decided it might be interesting to look at the traffic, some links and a few other metrics to learn more about you guys, and maybe a little about myself. I thought I would share them here.

Here we go:

45% of you who visit come from direct traffic (e.g. you bookmark the site), 38% are from referrals (e.g. referring websites from a link), and the remainder come from search engines.

For every one of you from Canada visiting, there is 1.6 people from the US visiting. Hits came from all over the world though, including racing hotbeds like Sweden and downunder.

The top referrals for this site this year, in order rank, were: The Paulick Report, Equidaily.com, with Raceday360.com and the Thoroughbred Bloggers Alliance in a close third. Thanks to you big guns for allowing me to join, or linking the little blog this year.

You are google users, more than the average web surfer.

Top three blogs who send traffic here? That would be harness pal Allan at View From the Racetrack Grandstand, Cangamble, and the Knightsky Racing Blog.

The top keyword (non-brand related, like racing, or ptp etc) of 2010: Who else, Zenyatta. Why would the mare be the most popular search term who landed here with only a couple of blog pieces on her? She’s Zen-freaking-yatta - the most popular horse of the internet world, and it is not even close. I got hits from everywhere from people searching her.

You are pretty loyal. 7% of you have visited over 200 times. Thanks.

29% of you use Firefox. That’s cool, I like Firefox.

You are more techy than the average Tom, Dick or Lucy. Iphone’s and IPAD’s make up a huge percentage of mobile visits. I was surprised as I have seen other blogs and there is nowhere near this amount of Apple penetration on them (and it ain’t me visiting with them, I have a Blackberry).

Top stories here of 2010? Those are easy – the stories which got linked from the big guns. My critique of my pal Ray Paulick (he’s still a pal even though we think each other is nuts sometimes) got a ton of hits and was number one. Zenyatta posts were both number two and number three (I think that must have been from Z’s faithful on Facebook). As far as generic posts go, the handicapping articles (linked at the side) continue to get piles of hits. You seem to like those, or at the very least visit them. If track executives do not think you are interested in fair odds lines or Harville Formula's, they better change their tune.

I sincerely appreciate all the visits. I write this blog pretty quickly (usually five minutes or less per post) and tend to write whatever strikes me. I know it’s not for everyone, but for those who do come to read, I can’t say thank you enough.

Enjoy your New Year, and all the best for 2011.

1 comment:

Brett Coffey said...

Thanks for writing it!

Most Trafficked, Last 12 Months

Similar

Carryovers Provide Big Reach and an Immediate Return

Sinking marketing money directly into the horseplayer by seeding pools is effective, in both theory and practice In Ontario and elsewher...