Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Horseplayers Are Winning

After decades of being called some not nice names, things are changing.

California, who has trumpted the "takeout does not matter and it does not make a difference" argument when they raised their takeout to groans in September, has suddenly changed their tune. They are offering a low takeout pick 5 for the Hollywood meet. It's a "no mas" offering, which I highly doubt players will embrace. They are far too soured on California racing because of the rake hike in the face of falling demand.

Ironically, this announcement comes on the heels of Calder's announcement. They have lowered pick 5 rake to a North American low 12%. That is a huge drop for a CDI track.

Horseplayers are winning. You are no longer betting degenerates, you are customers.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

While something, the Pick five pool in California is the small betting pool. This is Jack Liebau and California Industry Management throwing a bone to the customers hoping they remove the boycott.

I don't believe it will work but we will see.

Anonymous said...

This should work with Calder. There is no way players will take this bone at Hollywood... but time will tell.

Anonymous said...

Liebau never wanted this takeout hike: I guarantee it. The TOC, on the other hand, could care less about us. When horsemen groups make decisions, customers lose, it's right as rain.

Anonymous said...

Gimmicks like the pick 5 are bait bets. Tracks dont mind lowering the take out on these carrots. Once a player handicaps the pick 5 he/she is more likely to play the individual race at the regular take out. Really? ya think? All part of the marketing junior

Nancy Rhinehart said...

Sorry, there is no winning on the horizon for California horseplayers. The incompetent/greedy CHRB/TOC has decimated the sport here and higher takeout and shorter fields have all the momentum. The customer's needs continue to be ignored in this state and nobody in charge seems to have a "plan B" in place. The fans aren't the only ones suffering however, two more horses broke down and vanned off today in a five horse field, as casualties contnue at a record pace. The "press" at the DRF and the trainers (CTTB were screaming about the surface last year. Now, their silence is deafening. What a travesty that the special interest groups (CHRB-TOC-CTTB-DRF) care nothing for the poor animals.

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly disagree Anonymous 3. I guarantee you that Liebau absolutely could not give a crap about the consequences of this takeout increase for consumers and, more, that the biggest executive "players" at Hollywood Park were among the strongest advocates for it. No matter how much Liebau schmoozes horse players right now, and makes ya'll feel warm and cozy with free food and the like - he is playing the end game, temporary corporate profits above all else, just like the other biggest game callers in CA.

Nancy Taylor said...

After scanning the overnight entries for Thursday and Friday's races at Hollywood Park, it is clear that the new Pick Five wager as scheduled in the early races will be totally insignificant. All ten races in the pick five sequence are dismal, non-playable short fields. Most serious players aren't interested in such a poor product. Why not move the Pick 5 to the LAST five races ??? At least some of those races have some full fields.