Saturday, September 22, 2012

John Cashman (1940-2012)

It was announced today that John Cashman passed away today in Florida, after a battle with cancer.

The industry press, like here at Standardbred Canada, will have a proper obituary for Mr. Cashman.

Personally, I met Mr. Cashman through Harnessracing.com's Kathy Parker. I was going to Lexington for the Keeneland meet and Kathy emailed, asking if myself, and a couple of other gamblers would meet her for dinner. She said she'd invited Mr. Cashman, who wanted ideas on how to grow wagering.

I immediately liked him, as my colleagues did. You could see his love of the sport, but more importantly you could tell he wanted to grow the game. He was focused on wagering and the customer, and he wanted to know what the industry could do to get some excitement back from horseplayers.

We discussed a few ideas, and he wanted to pursue a pick 6, at a low takeout at two tracks. And that bet would be seeded. The next year the bet was created and it drew some money, but with no carryover and folks who were a little antsy, it ended.

But it was not because of a lack of effort.

I got to speak with Mr. Cashman a few times since that meeting in Lexington, and I have fond memories of him. I know I am not the only one.

I always called him Mr. Cashman, because to me, it fit. He was a class gentleman, unafraid to ruffle feathers. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.


No comments:

Most Trafficked, Last 12 Months

Similar

Carryovers Provide Big Reach and an Immediate Return

Sinking marketing money directly into the horseplayer by seeding pools is effective, in both theory and practice In Ontario and elsewher...