Skip to main content

150 watch & Bears. I Love Bears.

Muscle Hill sets his sites squarely on 150 this weekend at the Duquoin State Fair. Nine colts will contest the World Trotting Derby. From the rail out:

1. Southwind Tagar, Homer Hochstetler, Hochstetler, 10-1
2. Windshear, Dan Dube, Jimmy Takter, 15-1
3. Tad The Stud, George Brennan, Frank Antonacci Jr., 15-1
4. Photoforwin, Rick Beinhauer, Beinhauer, 5-1
5. Southern Rocketop, Dave Magee, Robert Taylor, 4-1
6. Muscle Hill, Brian Sears, Greg Peck, 3-5
7. Definer, Tyler Buter, Kenny Collier, 8-1
8. Wuthering Hanover, Dan Dube, Jonas Czernyson, 15-1
9. Airzoom Lindy, Tim Tetrick, Frank Antonacci Jr., 6-1

Are you like me at all with morning lines? I wish they would make them accurately with horses like Muscle Hill. He is 1-9, has about a 85% chance to win, so fill out the rest with the 15%, huh? This will be streamed via the web from the website. That is good news. This will be worth watching. I make it about even money he hits below 150, if the weather is good.

Seth from Equidaily linked his mother's chocolate cake today on his horse racing site. I think I will too. Man that looks like great cake. The owner of that blog has a good tagline. "Lisa is neither a professional chef nor a trained writer. She is just a girl who believes that time spent experimenting in the kitchen, reading cook books cover-to-cover, or wandering local farmers’ markets is time well spent." That is almost exactly the same as me, but I am not a girl, don't know how to bake, and I spend all my time betting horses. Other than that we are two peas in a pod. Anyway, I am sold. I am going to pay someone to make me that damn cake.

Big races this weekend at WEG. About $2.5M up for grabs. I might speak about them tomorrow. I don't find the 2 year old races good betting affairs at all. I do like Bettor Sweet in the Pacing Derby though.

I was watching Sudbury Downs Wednesday evening. Being a born and bred northern boy it brought back some memories - Ah, Sudbury. Rock, some more rock, some trees, and more rock. It did also bring back another memory - there are a lot of bears in Northern Ontario, and sometimes they go to the track (at least they did; before takeout got too high). I love these little bears. Now if I can only find the video of the deer running a half a furlong with the 5 claimers at Mountaineer a couple of years ago, the day would be complete!


Pacingguy said…
All we get at the Meadowlands are your Canadian geese and if lucky some domestic skunks:-)

Started looking at DuQuoin's Saturday card. Looking at the competition, it seems the only way Muscle Hill looses is if he does an impersonation of Niatross at Saratgoa (they do have a hub rail at DuQuoin).
Lisa's Cocina said…
How much are you willing to pay for that cake?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I found out through a relative of Seth that you had linked to my post, too. Thank you!
Pull the Pocket said…

I am gonna try to make it. If it sucks I will pay you like $100 :)

I am glad I stumbled onto your blog. I never, ever, ever thought I would see a food widget, but now I have :)


Popular posts from this blog

Sword Dancer Shenanigans Proves the Public's Point

Ask any random person who has not watched a horse race, or maybe have seen one or three : "Is horse racing fixed?"

They'll probably say, sure it is; common knowledge.

At that point, racing folks get excited to defend their sport. 99% of the races are clean, there is too much money involved to fix races, etc etc. 

Then we have yesterday's Sword Dancer, where not one of us can blame anyone for thinking like they do about the sport.

It's probably bad enough that a "rabbit" was entered for an old-time form of race fixing, but that the horse was ridden like a quarterhorse made the optics look terrible. That another horse - Roman Approval - had to be physically restrained due to the cowboy style race riding of the horse sent to destroy him, is probably just as bad optically.

But that was just the beginning. The real story had just begun.

At the head of the lane, this rank, spent, heart-ripped out rabbit, needed to do even more work for the 1-9 shot. He had t…

If #harnessracing is Afraid of the Answer......

There's a saying, apparently, from the legal community - never ask a question if you don't know the answer.

Today at the USTA meeting Jason Settlemoir put forth a motion that the USTA ask its membership the feelings on a question regarding slots and marketing. In a nutshell, it asked if a percentage of slot money should go into a slush fund to be spent on marketing and ancillary items to promote and grow the sport.

When the 54 director votes were tallied, the score was 47 to 7..... against.

Yes, the leadership of an organization voted down, in a landslide, asking the grassroots membership a question. 

Sure this seems super-silly, but why they did it, I think, is an easy one. They knew that if they asked the question the answer would be a resounding "yes". Then all hell would break loose. They'd have to try and get that done.

If harness racing is afraid of the answers to questions, they don't ask them. That seems to be the mantra of the sport. And it's p…

PTP's Bathing Index ® Derby Handicapping Angles - This is Much Better than Dosage

Good day racing fans!

It's one week until the Derby, where drunk people, rich people, sororities at almost every University, and others get together to watch, wager, take molly, drink juleps, wear hats, have parking issues, and partake in the annual Kentucky horse racing tradition.

I have scanned the big websites, read almost all social media and was very surprised that there are not a lot of people giving their thoughts on this year's Run for the Roses. It's like no one has an opinion! So in my never ending search for traffic, I decided to pop up a handicapping post. I think this post will help both new fans and old salty handicappers land on a winner.

As most know, physicality is important for handicapping (Leadbetter, et al). A lesser known angle is watching how a horse reacts while getting soapy water thrown on him. As long time handicapper Jessica notes, it can be a key to unlocking Derby betting fortune.


Let's begin with our control group, Kentucky Derby …