Thursday, December 13, 2007

Pick Six, er I mean Pick 7.

Why does Woodbine have a Pick 7?

I did two things today that makes me ask that question.

One, I went to the track. There was a carryover in the Meadowlands pick 4, and a carryover for the Woodbine Pick 7, so I thought I would go, have some chow and a beer, converse with a couple of friends and see if we could hit one. One of my playing partners said: "Pick 7. What's with a pick 7 anyway? People bet pick 6's not pick 7's. I think if I took a trip on my rocket ship, took a left turn at some nebula and found a racetrack, they might offer a pick 7. Everyone else...... Pick 6's!"

I think that point wasn't lost on me. Earlier in the day I downloaded a free trial of a calculator for multi-leg wagers at horse-player.com. This neat little calculator let's you construct "caveman tickets" for your pick 6, or pick 4 or pick 3. In general, it allows you to maximize your spread and weight your tickets. It is something most players do, but it is time consuming. Anyhow, I took the free trial, and I hoped to use this software for my pick 7 tickets at Woodbine.

One problem: The software does not even carry a pick 7. Only pick 6's. I can't really blame them, as I think Woodbine is the only track who even offers a pick 7.

Time to kill the Pick 7. Let's make it a pick 6 and see if we can not get more people interested that way.

For the record, my Meadowlands tickets were good. I made 16 tickets for 204 combinations and was alive on 5 horses in the last leg. But, I lost. Ron Pierce won with a nifty steer on a logical horse we did not use.

My pick 7 ticket was sooo much better, though (yep, sarcasm there). 3 of 7 on one ticket, and 2 of 7 on another. I was about as close to hitting that as hitting a Roger Clemens fastball.

On to tomorrow. As much as I would like to see a pick 6, a 50K carryover is something I can not pass up.

Good luck to everyone who takes a stab tomorrow, and good racing!

No comments:

Most Trafficked, Last 12 Months

Similar

Carryovers Provide Big Reach and an Immediate Return

Sinking marketing money directly into the horseplayer by seeding pools is effective, in both theory and practice In Ontario and elsewher...