Friday, March 6, 2009

Interesting Note on the Domestication of Horses

A new study shows that horses were domesticated about 5000 years ago. Dogs it says, were domesticated about 15,000 years ago.

Compared to dogs, domesticated as long as 15,000 years ago, and such food animals as sheep, goats and pigs, horses are relatively late arrivals in the human relationship.


This struck me as odd. If I was a dude and saw a dog and a horse 15,000 years ago I think I would want to chat with the horse, rather than a snarling dog. Not to mention I would think a dog could be less useful in carrying something for me, like a stick or whatever the heck was used at that time.

Then again, it is 2009 and I am typing this on the interweb thing, with a laptop wirelessly connected to billions of people. So my relationship to domesticating a horse in 3000 BC is not exactly like feet to socks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It wasn't so much people approching dogs as it was dogs approching people. 15000 years ago, it's theorized dogs would gain a genetic advantage by hanging around human encampmants and living off they're scraps. The less threatening the dog was the less likely it was they would get killed. They kind of domesticated themselves.

Pull the Pocket said...

This internet thing is gonna catch on. I learn something new every day :)

Superfecta said...

As an ex-archaeologist, I've long argued for an earlier date - I love that everyone comes around to my way of thinking years after I left the field.

Most Trafficked, Last 12 Months

Similar

Carryovers Provide Big Reach and an Immediate Return

Sinking marketing money directly into the horseplayer by seeding pools is effective, in both theory and practice In Ontario and elsewher...