Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Giving Thanks to the Horse Rescues

Rufus, just hanging out
"Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made."

I read a wonderful blog piece last night from Melaina Phipps. It was about her journey in rescuing a blind basset hound named Rufus. 

When I sent the story to a friend who runs a dog rescue she immediately replied:

"I don't know if I'm just having an emotional day, but it brought tears to my eyes."

Rufus seems to wake up each day happy to be alive. In another age or another time he probably would not be with us anymore. We can learn a lot as humans from ol' Rufus.

There are other blind dogs that are available for adoption, who need people like you and me, willing to give them a chance. I was astounded to see the vast number of them on the Blind Dog Rescue alliance website.

Bear. Cute? Think so.

The people I do meet in the rescue community have amazing hearts, and I never once hear them ask for praise, pity or anything else for that matter. I think it was Freud who said we all do things that make us feel good inside because we are all inherently selfish. Maybe that's true, but it's not something I am overly concerned with, because these animals win, and they're the lucky ones for it.

Horse rescue is completely similar, I find. I come across so many in the industry who work their asses off, for nothing more than the good feeling they get from helping a retired racehorse.

People like Caroline of So Cal Thoroughbred Rescue come to mind. You won't find a day pass without her trying to raise money for her rescue, or trying to find a wonderful horse a new home, and a new loving family. There are a hundred or more Caroline's out there, doing the work that many of us are unable, or unwilling to do.

At times it must be very frustrating, because although a lot of us believe that horse rescue should be of paramount importance in our industry, many times it results in only lip service.

What to do? I will give thanks to the people like Caroline, and hope that we put forth some policy that gives her and others like her the tools to make their vision a reality.

"Horse's have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made - With apologies to Roger Caras

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing Rufus on your blog--I am especially grateful for him this Thanksgiving!

Caroline said...

Great to learn about Rufus! And a huge thank you for the humbling words and gratitude for the work we do with horses. Let's hope something changes for their better, soon.

Most Trafficked, Last 12 Months

Similar

Carryovers Provide Big Reach and an Immediate Return

Sinking marketing money directly into the horseplayer by seeding pools is effective, in both theory and practice In Ontario and elsewher...