Thursday, March 20, 2014

Hey, So There's This Video

I am not sure what was bigger news on the twitter last evening, planes kinda-possibly being found, or a video. Since I follow more horse racing people, I think the latter. If for some reason you have not heard about the video, or seen it, it's linked.

Here are some FAQ's that aren't really FAQ's (these are a bunch of things I saw on twitter), and I am not really answering questions (they'll be simply my opinion), but here goes.

Q: It's from PETA, did they make it all up?

A: It's from them. It's clearly not made up.

Q: It's agenda-driven, and is being used to manipulate me.

A: Yes. PETA does not make videos as a journalistic enterprise. It's PETA, not 60 Minutes. It's incendiary, clipped together, and made to get the most bang for the buck.

Q: They made a big deal about injections and vet work. Like, really?

A: Yes, that part sounds like it was added to inflame, but most of it was non-sensical. My beagle went to the vet last week and got a needle put into his bladder to check for infection. It wasn't pleasent for him I am sure, but it fixed him up. A horse getting fluid drained from his knee is not horse abuse.

Q: Blasi sure likes to swear.

A: I can't disagree

Q: Gary Stevens comes off bad.

A: I can't disagree. 

Q: The Nehro stuff was gut wrenching. That is not common is it?

A: I was shocked. I know a lot of good horses who are running in a field right now with those problems, because their owners and trainers decide its best. But to think it's an isolated case is probably fooling ourselves.

Q: The industry will ban together and get mad.......... at PETA.

A: The everyday-apologists for racing, yes. For the rank and file, last year I would agree, too. This year I don't think so. Something is going to happen, but I am unsure what. Let's face it, this video is tough. I bet even the Bad Newz Kennels guys cringed at a couple of parts.

Q: This is a bunch of left wing nuts who don't like racing and it will only appeal to other lefty nuts who don't like racing. So what?

A: A righty friend of mine awhile back talked about how he would like regulation of how food through the slaughter of animals is handled; that he would be happy to pay more, knowing they are treated with respect. If I send this video link to him, he would probably email me back, slamming me for watching a "bloodsport". It's not just crazy wing-nuts, and you don't have to be a fanatic to know it's a different world, and things in that video don't sit right.

Q: PETA will never be appeased, so why try?

A: I agree. I think they won't be happy until undocumented alien cows are given drivers licenses. However, not trying to fix horse racing because it might forward a group-we-don't-like's agenda is not a preferred course of action.

That's my 2 cents.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PETA must have been very disappointed that all they could point to was ONE dead horse (and who died from a fairly typical ailment). Surely they hoped to present a trail of corpses rather than some foul-mouthed trainer basically providing legal, therapeutic care for his horses.

Sal Carcia said...

The issue is not the video. I agree. The issue is the game's inability to understand that it needs to do something big to improve the safety of its horses and help restore its public image.

Most Trafficked, Last 12 Months

Similar

Carryovers Provide Big Reach and an Immediate Return

Sinking marketing money directly into the horseplayer by seeding pools is effective, in both theory and practice In Ontario and elsewher...