Here is my take on the Cup Saturday. I will probably be playing this race as there is sure to be some value on the board.
1 - OK Borimir: Last weeks 30-1 was a bit long on this colt, but he remains a longshot. Luc will no doubt be looking for a slice of the $1.5M pot, and sitting the wood.
2 - Mr. Wiggles: Big shot, and the 15-1 ML is from Mars. This colt was impressive in the Hempt, paces sound as can be and is a legitimate threat to take all the marbles. He did not beat much in his elimination, but he went a huge first quarter on an off track, so he deserved to be a little tired.
3 - Dial or No Dial: Nice mile last week and strangely this guy has been lost in the shuffle a little bit. I think there is a chance that odds can be had on him and he might be underbet. Huge shot to take it down.
4 - If I Can Dream: I have no idea what to make of this horse. He does not look world class by any stretch, but he got the job done last week and won in a walk. He woke up when he entered the Brainard barn last year, but at times has been flat. It would not surprise me to see him run 8th, and it would not surprise me to see him win. A total question mark for me.
5 - Well Said: I would not bet him anywhere near his ML (the ML seems way out of whack this year). I am a fan of this horse and was on his bandwagon for the BC last year where we got a good price, but price is everything and I do not think we will get it. He has a good shot to win of course. No secret there, but an equipment change last week, off two sub par efforts, and a hard fought head win, just gives me a bad feeling about his chances.
6. Keep It Real: The east coast horse is probably the best horse in the race. He left hard from outside last time, got hung a bit and was still firing at the end. I think that first quarter took quite a bit out of him last time, and if he gets a trip, he could be $750k richer.
7. Art Colony: This horse hung like a chandelier last year in several starts where he was in a perfect position to win, and this year nothing has changed. Racing for fifth.
8. Chasin Racin: Nice colt, but he has had good trips and has not converted. He is a longshot, and one I can't play.
9. Annieswesterncard: I give this guy a fighting chance at huge odds. He was the chalk in the Metro last year, and he has the back class to contend with this group. A race like this comes down to trips, so if he fires out and gets one, he can light up the toteboard. An angle going for him: A closer flashing speed in his previous start is usually worth a poke. I will more than likely be playing him a little bit and sprinkle him in the exotics.
10. Millionaire Cam: Only a long, longshot's chance.
Most probable winner: Keep It Real
Power Rating Top Three: Keep It Real, Well Said, Dial or No Dial
Win on Annieswesterncard, 20-1 or over
Win on Mr. Wiggles, if over 7-1
Win on Dial or No Dial, if over 4-1
Ex box: Mr. Wiggles, Annieswesterncard and Dial or No Dial
Supers: Annieswesterncard and Mr Wiggles, grouped with the chalks, with a couple of all's in the three and four spots.
Good luck everyone.
Most Trafficked, Last 12 Months
This was originally printed in Trot Magazine's Horseplayer Issue. The pick 5 is a racing staple with almost every track trying to take...
I received a hot text on my Blackberry from Cub Reporter late last night. Cub said, "The racing braintrust was reading twitter last ni...
Our wagering game is an incredible mental exercise for many reasons. And one of its characteristics I like best is the variety of thought wh...
Everyone saw "the ride" , everyone commented on "the ride", everyone waited to see what was up with "the ride"...
I've been thinking about wagering, handicapping and gambling content this week. The topic has been front and center with Nico's grea...
So, I did a little reading on the railway rebate system. No, stop laughing, I really did. And it was a pretty interesting exercise. For tho...
I continue to be fascinated with both the press and general football fan reaction to the Bill Belichick 4th down decision in Sunday's ga...
If you're north of the 49th, you're suddenly hearing quite a bit about Canadian productivity; meaning, over the last half decade or ...
Sinking marketing money directly into the horseplayer by seeding pools is effective, in both theory and practice In Ontario and elsewher...