There were two big suspensions handed down this week. One in Ontario involved a trainer using EPO. Another in Nebraska involved a trainer using frog juice. EPO is dangerous for horses and also takes money away from hard working honest people racing their horses. Frog Juice is dangerous for horses, is dangerous for participants, and takes money away from hard working honest people racing their horses. Both are considered Class I drugs.
In Ontario the ORC handed down a 14 year suspension and a $60,000 fine.
In Nebraska the commission doled out a 2 year suspension and a $1,000 fine.
I realize there are circumstances and all the rest with suspensions, but that divergence doesn't pass the smell test. This is why today, and for years, participants, fans and bettors have wanted uniform rules and regulations. State houses, commissions and horsemen groups have failed the horses and honest trainers and owners miserably, in my opinion.
Notes:
Woodbine has cancelled Bet Night Live. Bet Night Live was shown Monday's for harness racing, and Wednesday's for the runners on the Score Network, which I think is beamed into 10 million or so homes. This is a response to the loss of slot money. It costs a lot of money to buy airtime; money that is no longer there.
The Montana station that got hacked with a Zombie Alert is kind of funny. It makes me wonder if the maker of the pancake thing is behind it. That looks like a really good pancake maker, and it has over 326,000 views on Youtube.
Interesting study by Pew Research: If you ever wondered why twitter seems like it's made up of a whole lot of kids who live in their parents basement learning about life and politics from Michael Moore and Bill Mahar, it's because, well, there are a whole lot of kids in their parents basement learning about life and politics from Michael Moore and Bill Mahar on twitter. Like most of us, they'll probably change when they have to pay their own hydro bill.
I can't for the life of me understand why Gulfstream race video's cannot be embedded.
There's a nice pick 5 carry at the Big M tonight. Free program pages are available. For those of you who've often said "the chances of me hitting a pick 5 carryover are about equal to a meteor shower causing havoc on Earth" it might be your day.
The Racing Beard is back running for you harness heads.
I paid some stakes payments a couple of days ago. Stakes payments are like buying a penny stock which promises that this new product will take over the world and you'll be rich. What invariably happens is that six months later the stock is in bankruptcy protection.
Have a great Friday everyone!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Most Trafficked, Last 12 Months
-
There has been a lot of discussion of late via #simocon about racing, betting and signals and all the rest. The main theme is that racing ca...
-
Standardbred Canada has a poll up asking who is the greatest trotter who ever lived. These questions are fun, but really it is impossible t...
-
The news hit the wires today that TVG is in search of a new CEO. This news assures a shake-up in programming at the huge ADW, especially w...
-
How do we differentiate ourselves from thoroughbred bettors? What are the pros and cons of being a harness bettor? In a recent article at R2...
-
A lot of you have seen this Portnoy post about his beat in the Pick 6 at Del Mar yesterday: I made it to last leg of pick 6 at Del Mar. I h...
-
I saw this tweet by Nick yesterday. Nick is the morning line maker at Keeneland. I promise I’m not being a smart ass. I clearly made a horr...
-
In 1996, most know that the pari-mutuel tax on wagering was reduced from 7.5% to 0.5% as part of the slots at racetracks program. The indust...
-
Top ten lists of the decade are so everywhere. But, heck I think they are cool and I like reading them. It was a wonderful decade to watch r...
-
Sitting outside, or in the grandstand at Greenwood brings back many memories. Racing was super-popular and we usually had a packed house and...
Similar
Carryovers Provide Big Reach and an Immediate Return
Sinking marketing money directly into the horseplayer by seeding pools is effective, in both theory and practice In Ontario and elsewher...
No comments:
Post a Comment