From two sides of the gambling spectrum. First our old friend Phil made a post about switching some of his play to poker.
On racing:
I have matured as a handicapper and consider myself to be atleast as good if not better than I have been at any point in time.
Yet, as time moves along, I find myself struggling more and more just to stay afloat.
On poker:
I consider myself a mediocre poker player at best. I probably play too many hands and am probably not able to calculate pot odds quick enough to be considered good, yet I can win at that game.
Case in point, as mediocre as I am, I had a convention in Atlantic City three weeks ago. So to kill some time, I took $40 dollars in chips to the poker room to play Hold’em. Over the next three days, I turned that $40 into over $400. Yet, this week while I was off, I used my above average horse playing skills to lose almost everyday. So tonight I decided to ditch the horses and fire up online poker. It was a good decision. In the last 5 hours I have multiplied my money by six. And I’m mediocre.
I once had a friend put $40 in a poker account and he played for six months before losing it. Low rakes are a nice thing. People like winning more than losing, that is a pretty obvious fact - win more at poker, play more poker. It is not difficult to understand.
Our other old pal Allan has a nice post of stats and stuff on the other end of the spectrum. Gamblers who know they will lose yet flock to give money to the bandits at Yonkers in huge numbers.
When I was at Woodbine on Saturday, I was sitting in behind a newbie table. They won a couple of show bets. One woman said "this is way more fun than slots; you have to think here!" Exactly. People really like it when they figure something out and it goes their way. It was not a pull of a lever, or a lottery. They used their head. Now if we could just find a way to send more people home winners at the races. We might do ok.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Most Trafficked, Last 12 Months
-
There has been a lot of discussion of late via #simocon about racing, betting and signals and all the rest. The main theme is that racing ca...
-
Standardbred Canada has a poll up asking who is the greatest trotter who ever lived. These questions are fun, but really it is impossible t...
-
The news hit the wires today that TVG is in search of a new CEO. This news assures a shake-up in programming at the huge ADW, especially w...
-
How do we differentiate ourselves from thoroughbred bettors? What are the pros and cons of being a harness bettor? In a recent article at R2...
-
A lot of you have seen this Portnoy post about his beat in the Pick 6 at Del Mar yesterday: I made it to last leg of pick 6 at Del Mar. I h...
-
I saw this tweet by Nick yesterday. Nick is the morning line maker at Keeneland. I promise I’m not being a smart ass. I clearly made a horr...
-
In 1996, most know that the pari-mutuel tax on wagering was reduced from 7.5% to 0.5% as part of the slots at racetracks program. The indust...
-
Top ten lists of the decade are so everywhere. But, heck I think they are cool and I like reading them. It was a wonderful decade to watch r...
-
Sitting outside, or in the grandstand at Greenwood brings back many memories. Racing was super-popular and we usually had a packed house and...
Similar
Carryovers Provide Big Reach and an Immediate Return
Sinking marketing money directly into the horseplayer by seeding pools is effective, in both theory and practice In Ontario and elsewher...
No comments:
Post a Comment